Wednesday, August 06, 2008

What common man thinks about Software companies?

This happened when I was having training in my first company in Pune. It was rainy season and two of my friends were coming to office. It started raining so they stopped at one of the shop so as to avoid getting wet in rain. There was a person and young guy standing there and discussing something. They saw my friends wearing IBM badge. As a curiosity that young guy asked the person, "What is this IBM?".
To that the old person replied like this, "IBM, it is Indian Bank Management!!!. It is a very good company, only here it is private otherwise it is a government company." My friends couldn't say anything and just kept quite.

Another time I was going to my office by auto. I work in ITC Infotech, a 100% subsidiary of ITC. And our ITC Infotech office is located at the place where there was ITC cigarrete factory. Now people don't know that it is now software office. So after coming near to my office, I told the auto driver that you can stop here. Now as he knew it is Cigarrete factory, he asked me, "Sir, Do you work in Cigarrete factory?". And they I had to tell him that, "Bhai, this is no more Cigarrete factory, this is IT company. Cigarrete factory is shifted to new location now.".

Few days back there was a CA in our company for filling out IT returns. He asked me, "I heard that employees get free cigarrete in your company. Is it like that?". I have to tell him that , "No sirji, not at all.".


No comments: